The 17-18 June 2014 the Smart Specialisation Platform (S3P) together with the region of Lapland will arrange a workshop in Rovaniemi, Finland, on the topic of Research and Innovation Strategies for Smart Specialisation (S3) in Sparsely Populated Regions. Registration is now available.
The 17-18 June 2014 the Smart Specialisation Platform (S3P) together with the region of Lapland will arrange a workshop in Rovaniemi, Finland, on the topic of Research and Innovation Strategies for Smart Specialisation (S3) in Sparsely Populated Regions.
The workshop will explore what challenges are in developing RIS3 strategies in sparsely populated areas and especially in the sustainable management of natural resources both for the purpose of identifying and documenting good practices and challenges, and to create the ground for learning between regions.
The discussions will cover topics such as:
* How to develop resources driven economies while having scarcity of the critical mass?
* How to carry out Entrepreneurial Discovery Process in sparsely populated areas?
* How can regions use existing specializations as a springboard for the development of future specializations?
* Should regions balance specialization with investment in building innovation capacity across the whole business base?
* How can regions go beyond the focus of high technology sectors, and include areas such as service, social and eco innovations?
* How peripheral regions use synergies from cooperation with other regions for their benefit/ to tackle their specific challenges?
The workshop will be highly interactive, to make the most of the knowledge and experiences of all participants. In each of the three sessions two regions will present their RIS3 and challenges and opportunities they have experienced in order to contrast and find similarities. There will be presentations from six regions in total, Lapland (FI), Nordland (NO), Västerbotten (SE), Scotland (UK), Aragon (ES) and Warminsko-Mazurskie (PL - TBC).
The target group for the event would be stakeholders involved in the development and implementation of Smart Specialisation Strategies (S3).